Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Disappointing numbers, new project

While it's only been out a little more than a week, I am somewhat disheartened by the initial numbers on The Duel. From what I understand, the initial sales give some degree of momentum to any particular ebook. I have no doubt that eventually the numbers will pick up a bit, but I am left to wonder at the difference between Scoundrel's Answer and The Duel. Initial marketing was basically the same, so that leaves four main differences:

1) The Length - I believe this is the primary driving factor. Scoundrel's Answer is a full length novel, even though it was initially released in serial form. The Duel is much shorter, barely a novella.

2) The Price Point - I had priced it at 99 cents in order to try to encourage bargain hunters to try it out, as well as a certain loathing to price such a short work any higher.

3) The Tone - The Duel is somewhat of a departure from Scoundrel's Answer. I intended to soften the tone and add more romance elements. Maybe I should stick with what I do best, or at least better, twisted scenes and action more suited to a generic swords and sorcery tale.

4) Existing User Base - Scoundrel's Answer had a number of readers when it was put out on serial format. I can't help but think a few enjoyed it enough to buy the ebook once it was cleaned up and edited.

Scoundrel's Answer isn't exactly a runaway success by any measure, but it at least sold enough copies in its first month to pay for itself, which in my book is a win. I'm not looking to become some chart topping dynamo, but having the releases pay for themselves just feels nice.

This is by no means meant to be a pity party, and should not be read that way. I'm learning as I go with independent self publishing, so that requires taking a long, hard look at what works and what doesn't work, and genuine attempts to improve on what does. It's the same method that I believe anyone who wants to do anything seriously should undertake, whether it be a hobby, a profession, or an art form. When I get feedback on my writing, I take to heart what people did like and didn't like, and try to adapt. Not for their sake, honestly, but for my own.

So now, with the process of trying to turn a buck writing tales getting underway, it's time to set some new goals. My initial idea was to release three or four shorts, then stick them together into bundles. It seems to work for others. I felt that, with a disciplined schedule, I should be able to release something once a month, or close to that. This goal is still valid, but I think I'm going to change it up a bit.

As of now, I'm putting the finishing touches on planning another serial, similar to Scoundrel's Answer. It will be a full length fantasy sword and sorcery style yarn, though perhaps a touch more coherent. I'm aiming for a release schedule of approximately one chapter a week, which should be very doable. While I'm putting it together, I will also be working on the previously planned shorts to maintain a decent presence in ebooks as well. I'll just concentrate on stories that are longer and more involved.

Worry not, those who want a sequel to Scoundrel's Answer. It's on the drawing board as well, though it may take a little longer than expected.

And if you want to purchase either The Duel or Scoundrel's Answer, links to do so are now on their own permanent page, accessible through a tab above. Or elsewhere, depending on whether you are reading this close to when I write it or years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment